UHMS is accepting Fellow of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine applications through the end of the year.
Or log in to the UHMS website and then paste these links in your browser:
What’s in a name?
Becoming a FUHM is a special honor, an acknowledgment of achievement and of the high standards of expertise, practice and contribution to the field of UHM. Here’s the scoop.
Policy and purpose
Recognition as a Fellow of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine is awarded to individual members of the Society whose professional activities and standing are judged to be worthy of recognition. The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Board of Directors confers this recognition based upon the criteria and procedures set forth in the policy document at https://www.uhms.org/members/fuhm.html
Who can be a FUHM?
Candidates considered eligible for the FUHM award will be members of the Society in good standing who have devoted significant time and effort to the practice or advancement of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine (UHM), achieved the highest level of expertise in their field, and demonstrate professional and ethical standards consistent with the aims and expectations of the UHMS.
What does it mean to be a FUHM?
Although FUHM recognition is not an academic qualification or specialty certification, FUHMs may utilize their award to demonstrate advanced achievement and expertise in Hyperbaric and/or Diving Medicine through, for instance, display of their FUHM award certificate, use of appropriate post-nominals, and inclusion of information regarding their award in CVs, résumés and analogous documents.
Once awarded, FUHM status is not automatically retained, but is contingent upon the continued good standing of the individual and membership in the UHMS. Consequently, the BOD may rescind FUHM recognition in accordance with the procedures listed.
What is the application process?
Please review all the requirements for application on the UHMS website.
- All applicants must be nominated for FUHM recognition by current FUHM awardees, BOD members, or the FUHM Committee.
- The deadline for the nomination letter and application is January 1, 2018, with no exceptions.
- There are no self-nominations allowed.
- Once the nomination letter has been reviewed by the Committee and the nominee is determined to have met all criteria for FUHM status, an application will be sent to the nominee.
- Nominees interested in pursuing formal FUHM recognition must then submit an application requesting consideration for FUHM award no later than February 1, 2018.
- For applicants meeting criteria, letters of support and any other documentation required by the FUHM Committee will be due by March 1, 2018. The material will then be reviewed by the FUHM Committee and advanced to the Board of Directors for a final decision.
Know a deserving person? Of course you do. Start your nomination process today.